More From Advanced Style

Header_1.13

Header_1.13

Monday, March 31, 2014

95 Years Young

I always love when people recommend their stylish friends for me to photograph. Barbara Harris, who I have photographed twice before, wrote to tell me that I must meet her friend and style icon, 95-year-old Alvis Rogers. When I met Alvis at her apartment in Manhattan last week, she surely didn't disappoint, in a gorgeous hounds tooth jacket and cream overcoat. I asked Barbara to put together a few words about her dear friend below:

ALVIS ROGERS IS A CLASS ACT AND VERY ELEGANT. I've known Alvis close to 50 years. We met at Casdulan Hair Salon, owned by Frenchie, located next to the famed Apollo Theatre on 125th Street. The salon was  very popular during that time because all the hair stylists were great, which attracted very chic clients and celebrities--just to name a few, Diahaan Carroll, Lucille Armstrong (Louis Armstrong's wife) Audrey Smaltz (The Ground crew), and many others. After chatting with Alvis, we discovered we were  neighbors on Sugar Hill in Harlem. I was so struck by how this beautiful African  American woman was dressed, how she spoke and how she  just reeked of class and style. I  knew from this first meeting she was someone I wanted to get to know better and emmulate, so I could learn how it was properly done, She was also dripping of great jewelry--gold and diamonds, which also really  impressed me  (I,too wanted some of those).

As I introduced her to my friends, they, like me were in awe of her elegance, wit and style and wanted to know her better. Alvis was very worldly--having traveled a lot and took many cruises  which just seemed like  a wonderful life style. She invited me a few times for a Bon Voyage party on the ship, and I though that was very grand. Living in New York City during the 60's, and meeting a fabulous woman like Alvis (that looked like us) gave us a lot of hope and determination that we, also, could be Fabulous at any age. Women who see Alvis now are still inspired by her beauty, warmth and total togetherness. At her age she is till a star.

22 comments:

Sophie Wilson said...

Such wonderful, sweet writing <3

http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk

TRENDSURVIVOR said...

Gorgeous classy look! Love it!
x
Nina
http://trendsurvivor.com

Susan G said...

She looks fantastic!

tracy b said...

She certainly doesn't look 95! Fabulous!!

Alicia Foodycat said...

95! I wouldn't have put her any older than 75. So chic!

June said...

Oh my. She makes me warm right to my toes. I would love to talk to her, listen and learn.

Nancy in L.A. said...

I can't believe she is 95; she looks decades younger. Great style and such a beautiful face. I love how you publish these pictures of women who know who they are and have their own unique styles (zany, classic, bohemian, etc.)--something for everyone. This lovely lady's style is the kind that speaks to me. She is just wonderful!

Mrs. Glam said...

Not only is she beautiful and charming, but she has a GLOW about her. She's lived a satisfying life- you can see it in her eyes- and she's stylish to boot. Love it!

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

Beautiful!!!

Tessa~

Forest City Fashionista said...

Her friend is correct, she is a STAR!

Paulina Grabowska said...

http://paulandfashion.blogspot.co.at/

Manuela said...

She is 95?!? Wow, chapeau!

Anonymous said...

Looking nice in this dress for more at www.clothing9.blogspot.com

Aux Caprices de Flore said...

She is magnificent, I wish I'll be this beautiful when I will be her age. WOW

www.auxcapricesdeflore.blogspot.com

Esther said...

What a darling, i want to be just like her

ester said...

what a darling, i want to be just like her

The Style Crone said...

Elegant and beautiful!

Jeff Smith said...

Nice Post..Hard to believe that she is 95 years old..Love it!!!!!!
http://www.leathernxg.com/17-womens-leather-coats

Eli said...

Beautiful Lady!
I think she is 65 years. She`s such a smart pretty face. I would like to see her more often!

Eli said...

Beautiful Lady!
I think she is 65 years. She`s such a smart pretty face. I would like to see her more often!

Eli said...

Beautiful Lady!
I think she is 65 years. She`s such a smart pretty face. I would like to see her more often!

Natasha Bernard said...

Beautiful! I love your blog and book.

Natasha B|Fashionably Fabulous

BlogCatalog

fashion Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Included in AnOther
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...